HMS Gladiator was a 5,750-ton cruiser with a crew of 250 men. On 25 April, 1908, a foul, misty, and snowy day, she left Portland bound for Portsmouth. While the American 11,630-ton mail liner St Paul left Southampton on her way to New York. They both entered Hurst Race at the same time, when the snow storm was at its height. The two ships were not visible to each other until they were less than half a mile apart, heading on a direct collision course. » Read more
The fort is built on Bembridge Down close to the village of Bembridge on the Isle of Wight. It is one of the many Palmerston Forts built around Portsmouth during the period of the Second French Empire, as a safeguard against a perceived threat of French invasion. Construction of the fort began in May 1862 and was completed by July 1867 at a cost of £48,925. » Read more
This building was originally Newport Electric Light Works, but is currently an empty ruin. To the left of the chimney the former Newport Railway Station can be seen with the footbridge that went across the platforms. Photo believed to been taken circa 1900. In the foreground are two tip up carts loaded with cereal for export.
East Cowes Castle, located in East Cowes, was the home of architect John Nash between its completion and his death in 1835. Nash himself was the designer of the site, and began construction as early as 1798. He was interred on the grounds.
The structure gained renown for its complex castellation, its gothic-style turrets and towers, and for the notable individuals who came to be Nash's guests there, including the Prince Regent and J.M.W. Turner, who painted a picture of the location.
The Frank James Hospital is a purpose-built hospital in a 1903 Dutch Style built by Somers Clarke; it is located in the quiet town of East Cowes,on the Isle of Wight; built as a memorial to Frank James, eldest son of Sophia and Daniel James. He did much travelling to Africa in his yacht The Lancashire Witch and was killed by an elephant in 1890. The wind vane on top of the hospital is a model of James's yacht. » Read more
Commercial air travel began between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., when the first plane, a Soviet Aeroflot jet, landed at Kennedy International Airport in New York.
This website has been created to help create a database of local Island history, nostalgia, memories and photos etc.. Feel free to post your previously unseen photos, and chat with similar minded people.