Post Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Knighton Waterworks

Originally this site was a watermill but in about 1885 it was converted into a waterworks for Ryde Water Company. The old millpond was rebuilt as small reservoirs and the mill building converted into a small pumphouse. Additional buildings were also constructed so that in the late l880’s two beam engines were in operation. The two engine houses remain south of the reservoirs. In 1913 a large brick building was constructed north of the reservoirs to house new gas engines. The gas engines were replaced in 1948 by two 80 horsepower and one 150 horsepower vertical spindle pumpsets.

knighton-waterworks.jpg
knighton-waterworks.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 1145 times


Demolition of the Knighton waterworks, approx late 80's.


knightonwaterdemo1.jpg
knightonwaterdemo1.jpg (132.07 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

knightonwaterdemo2.jpg
knightonwaterdemo2.jpg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

knightonwaterdemo3.jpg
knightonwaterdemo3.jpg (139.39 KiB) Viewed 1145 times


Information sourced from Google, Facebook and Industrial Archaeology in the Isle of Wight - BOOK