Post Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Shide & surrounding area

Shide plan 1908
shideplan1a.png (304.06 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

BELOW - The 9-lever signal box behind the station master acted as a block post, which allowed for mineral trains to be easily locked into the sidings. No trace remains of the station today, or of the Pan Lane sidings to Pan Mill, half way to Newport.

Shide station
shidestation1.jpg (205.03 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

BELOW - 'E' on the wagons indicates "Engineers". Ballast continued to be provided from above the quarry long after the chalk traffic ceased in 1944. Unlike the grey granite ballast standard on the mainland, Island railways were ballasted with distinctive brown and white flints. (A. W. Burges)

Shide station
shidestation2.jpg (206.61 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

Shide quarry
shidequarry1.jpg (199.56 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

North of Shide, a siding left the branch, by trailing points on the 'up' side, to serve chalk and ballast pits under St George's Down. The chalk was conveyed to Cement Mills beside the Medina, 1½ miles north of Newport on the Cowes line, whilst the ballast was utilized on the permanent way of the Islands railway system.
The upper photo shows the chalk pit, whilst in the lower photo, the fireman of 'Terrier' tank No. W8 Freshwater is climbing back into the cab after seeking authority for the train to enter the siding with empties from the Cement Mills sidings. Because of the light flat-bottomed permanent way at both Cement Mills and Shide pits, the 'Terrier' tanks were the only locomotives permitted to work these services. Beyond Shide, the line continued on a 1 in 190 falling gradient before rising at 1 in 150 to Pan Lane Crossing. From the level crossing, falling gradients of 1 in 590/168 led to the junction south of Newport.

Shide quarry
shidequarry2.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

Isle of Wight - Railways Remembered - BOOK