Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 pm

St Mary's Rd Bridge

Curving round from Granville Bridge the railway crossed St Mary's Road on a similar through girder bridge. This is the No.20 SHANKLIN in June 1965; in 1880s the company had announced itself prepared to build the bridge subject to a contribution from the Ward Estate and the Town Board. There was a complimentary deal involving a parcel of land ('about 28 square yards') in Cross Street by the terminus and by 17th December 1890 it was apparently finished or nearly so, for Col. Rich of the Board of Trade required the company to fix a check rail on 'the new underbridge' at Cowes.

stmarysrd01.jpg
st marys road bridge
stmarysrd01.jpg (155.24 KiB) Viewed 1669 times


The below photo is an enlarged copy of the one above;

stmarysrd04.jpg
st marys road
stmarysrd04.jpg (77.89 KiB) Viewed 1667 times



Source;
An Illustrated History of The Isle of Wight Railways - Cowes to Newport