The Frank James Hospital is a purpose-built hospital in a 1903 Dutch Style built by Somers Clarke. It is located in the quiet town of East Cowes, on the Isle of Wight; built as a memorial to Frank James, eldest son of Sophia and Daniel James. He did much travelling to Africa in his yacht ‘The Lancashire Witch’ but was killed by an elephant in 1890. The wind vane on top of the hospital is a model of James’s yacht.
The hospital was opened up on the 18th June 1903 by the H.R.H Princess of Battenburg. The idea of the hospital had been drawn for ages but due to a lack of funds this was put back a while.Due to the generosity of Mr.Arthur James and his brother Mr. William in giving the land and the building the idea of Hospital in the town had become a reality.
Due to the amount of accidents within the shipping and other industries, all accidents was transferred to Isle of Wight County Hospital at Ryde, so a new hospital within East Cowes was needed for a while. The use of this new hospital meant that patients could be treated quicker saving much distress.
The hospital’s upkeep was fulfilled by J.S White & Co and their team of over 2000 men who promised that they would contribute a little every year for the upkeep and maintenance.
Friends of The Frank James was born in March 2012 when a group of like-minded residents were fed up with the state of the Frank James Hospital, and chose to change this decision and save the building for future generations. Currently they have had 9 clear-up days where such people as Island MP Andrew Turner has shown and expressed an interest to save the building. Other famous people who are wanting to show their support are Alan Titchmarsh who lives on the Isle of Wight and was formally the High Sheriff.
If you have more photos, comments or memories, questions etc that you’d like to add, please goto the forum page, CLICK HERE.